Friday, July 12, 2013

A few things that I like.

This article from Wendell Berry's daughter.Wendell and Me  My favorite line from the article -

I was asked once what it was like to be a Berry child. I answered that it was fine except for the constant humiliation. I believe that I went along with my father’s plans for us very agreeably until I was 12 or 13, the age when I think many children realize that their parents need guidance.

She also wrote about her mother.
My Mother's Agrarian Making of a Home.

Don't know who Wendell Berry is?  Here is one of my favorite poems of his.

The Peace of Wild Things


When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.


Other things that I have liked.

Call the Midwife:  Just over the top wonderful.  The positive portrayal of religious life in community- I love it.

Louise Penney's Inspector Gamache.  I started with  The Beautiful Mystery and now need to go back and start this series at the beginning.  Intelligent and interesting mysteries.

Celtic Daily Prayer  prayers from the Northumbria Community.  I read the Compline Prayers before I go to sleep at night.  Just lovely.

Elizabeth Goudge.  I know I am late to the game with this author but I just read The Scent of Water  and really liked it.  Her books show her faith and are very delicate.  They aren't for everyone but I really enjoyed this book.  I'd like to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment